> the changes on the completions into fish upstream. Other shells don't
> usually provide completions for foreign programs, for example systemd
> provides bash and zsh completions, while fish provides completions for
> systemd.

Thats probably because of the popularity/omnipresence of shells like
bash. That's why the foreign program authors have an incentive to
provide bash completions in order for their program to be more
appealing/user-friendly.

Till the time fish-shell reaches that level of popularity, I guess we
keep on providing completions as part of fish.

Just my 2 cents.

-mandeep