On my Fedora system uninstalling fish removes /etc/fish directory. So the
files installed by other packages under /etc/fish/external_completions will
also get deleted. If we are keeping files
under /etc/fish/external_completions, we should make sure that any
operations on fish package should not affect files in this directory.

--
Regards,
Siteshwar