Well of course you could replace the Air SDK, but I still call this tightly
coupled. In contrast to the Flash Player you can't simply select the
runtime you want to use. Let me rephrase my statement: The Flex SDK is
tightly coupled to only one Air SDK at a time :-)

Acutally Air, Flash and Flex are completeley individual products from
Adobe. Adobe distributed them in an All-In-One package when releasing Flex
to give you a complete tool suite at hand. Starting with Apache Flex 4.8
Flex comes completeley without Flash and Air. That's why they created their
installer to download the missing parts and assemble a FDK that contains
all of the parts the old Adobe FDKs contained.

As I said ... if FM6 is doing something different than FM5 or FM4 please
whip up a demo project and add it to Jira.

And as far as I know you can do the missing steps for native deployment by
using the antrun target and creating a script that does the last steps for
you. I guess this is what most people I've heard of are doing. Sharing such
a script to the other FM users would be great though :-)

Chris