Manuel Bessler wrote:
On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 02:26:12PM +0200, Boris Koenig wrote:

x11 yes, but what if not OpenGL capable.

well, in that specific example I was referring to the case where a secondy machine would running dedicatedly for the purpose of displaying a CDU for a FMS - so GENERALLY I would

I migth have misunderstood you. I thought you meant running the CDU in a
slaved fgfs.

no, I was rather suggesting to use some basic xserver<->client mechanism to display graphics created and provided by FlightGear ON EXTERNAL hardware - without the need for that hardware to be sophisticated, using network compression there would not even be the need for much bandwidth, in particular if you take into account that it would be mainly the screen component of a CDU that needs regular refreshing, so much of the actual data transmission could be conditionalized.

Ususally, homebuilt CDUs consist of a small LCD w/ TV or VGA interface, the pushbuttons and a piece of plastic resembling the CDU panel. Use an older PC to drive the LCD with a CDU/FMC software running on it
(or remotely if using X11)

is the latter really an already established mechanism, I was really under the impression for it to be a spontaneous idea :-)

SimGear itself is rather meant to provide a generic framework for
simulations - so, the things that you are mentioning would be rather
specific to flight simulator applications  hence it would certainly
make more sense to directly integrate it into FG itself.

If you look at some stuff in SimGear, you'll see that there are
flightsim specific things... and if someone wanted to write a FMS procedure trainer, he could link simgeear in, but wouldn't need any
flightgear stuff. AFAIR, Flightgear doesn't build any libs that are
used by 3rd party programs.

I see your point

To me, SimGear seems the perfect for the kind of routines I mentioned.

but see my previous post: using SimGear as a backend for the calculations there would not be a reason to drop the mainly Nasal based approach for the actual implementation of the logics involved - which would then have many advantages talking of flexibility.

In order to really determine what data and functions to access
it would be necessary, one would first need to look into a
FMC manual and find out what data sources are being used to

AFAIK FMCs (at least the ones used onboard Boeings) use airdata, IRS,
and possibly GPS. They can control (nav-)radio tuning, ACARS...
> They interface with the autopilot, flight control computer and probably
> a bunch more.
> I also remember something about weight&balance.

yes sure, that's the common sense knowledge that most of us have
here, but actually there's still a bit more to it - which is probably
easier to find if you really get your hand on a FMS (training) manual,
actually that would be quite a sufficient source because you could
design the whole FMS -> page by page <- after it.

--------- Boris