Am Tuesday 04 October 2005 12:51 schrieb Harald JOHNSEN:

> Some 3d models have conditional displays based on the view number. In
> internal view their often don't draw
> most of the external model to be fps friendly. A simple solution for
> that problem is to set the view number
> to 'external' when drawing MP planes. But this is not enought, 3d models
> should have LOD and handle
> correctly the fact that they can be used as MP/AI aircraft (some
> animation rules could be different then
> for the user aircraft).

AFAIK flightgear does support dynamic Level-Of-Detail, and most ACs already
have an anppropriate XML.set. But this is for sure something we have to draw
some more attention in the future.

> You will spend a lot of your time replying to question on irc or lists
> when suddenly more and more people
> start to use the mp feature. Or you could give the user some feedback on
> what's happening.
> Is the host reachable, is the server launched, how many users are
> connected ? What the hell do you
> want me to do in a console ? Give the user the tool he needs or you'll
> spend you time doing the hot line.

Of course I want to give as much information to the user as is necessary and
useful. But currently all I can do is to print some information to the
console which started fgfs (and I'm already doing it). The more appropriate
way would be to display information within the simulation on screen, or in a
seperate window. But currently it's simply not possible.

All in all flightgear has a long way to go, before we can consider the
multiplayer part to be something like "real" (or "good enough")

But the question in this thread is: what do we need to solve before the next
release is done and can it be done in the next, say, 2 months?

My impression is that MP is working good enough for now, and all enhancements
should be done after the next release.

Any comments welcome,
Oliver