Paul Surgeon wrote:

No what would make us more happy is to know why there is such an urgency to have two FG releases in the space of a couple of months when up till now we've been releasing about once per year.
What has prompted this change?

This decision didn't involve the developers at all.
Not even a "guys what do you think about having another release in January that just contains bug fixes?"

Are we changing to a frequent release cycle or what?
When will the next release be after 1.0? March or April?

Look, rolling out a new release is a massive effort. We need to do a release more than once a year. But my time can be very limited depending on what other paying projects I'm involved with during the year. So I try to find a balance between a new release date that is appropriate for the project and my available time.

Discussing this with the development community is ok, but at the end of the day, I have to pick a time that matches my personal schedule, otherwise there will be no release at all. And we need releases, just like we need to invite people over to our homes ... sometimes that's the only way certain messes will get cleaned up.

If you want to pay me a fair salary, then you would be most welcome to tell me how and when to spend my time doing whatever it is you want me to do. Until then, I need to make my own decisions that strike the best balance I can come up with between the needs of this project and the needs of my family and jobs. That means there are external constraints to the flightgear release schedule that discussion on the list has no affect on.

It's not a perfect world, so I'm sure you and others have and will continue to have plenty to complain about. But I'm getting really sick of hearing about version numbers so this is my last message on the topic for a while.