> Tim Moore wrote:
>
> Oliver Schroeder wrote:
> > I really think, setting up a mp-client which feeds traffic is the right way
> > go. That way it does not matter, if the traffic is real or
 artificial. And
> > best of all, flightgear itself does not need any changes at all.
>
> I'd be a bit concerned about the performance implications of this

 approach. If the intent is to run this program on the same machine as
FlightGear,
> then
 there will need to be a fair amount of tuning to make sure that the
> real-time
 FlightGear performance isn't affected and that the AI program isn't starved at
the same
> time.

 My impression is that the traffic manager is quite CPU intensive; perhaps
that's skewed

 by initialization costs.

> It's still a good idea to have a separate program as an option, and

 many people have several computers laying around. But do think about the single
> machine
 case too, especially in the context of wanting to work well on three
> operating
 systems (Unix, Windows, OS X).

I would think that the big benefit of having an MP client feeding traffic is
that we'd only need one traffic client for all the people connected to MP
around the world.

Personally, I think that out-weighs the performance implications for those
people not connected to MP who want AI traffic and who have to run a client
locally. Having a separate client for traffic also has the benefit of allowing
the user to prioritize my own flying over that of the AI traffic. I'd rather
have the AI traffic stutter than my own aircraft.

-Stuart