Hi All,

I just added some new code to src/Main/fg_init.cxx that allows FlightGear's
airport dynamics functions to give you a valid parking position without having
to bother about the details of whether the parking is of hte right type,
whether it is large enough, etc etc. To achieve this, the --parkpos option
recognizes the keyword AVAILABLE (in capitals). However, in order to get it to
work, you need to set some properties:

/sim/atc/radius:  should be a nummeric estimate of the size of your aircraft. A
small aircraft fits into a large parking, but a large aircraft does not fit
into a small parking space. Because the AI part of radius is also used for
slightly different purposes (prioritizing gate assignmments, the given valuem
may deviate slightly from the real aircraft size. See
http:/wiki.flightgear.org/Aircraft.radii for an overview of currently used
values for the redius property.
/sim/atc/flight-type can be any one of "ga", "cargo", "gate", "mil-fighter",
"mil-cargo", or "vtol". See
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Interactive_traffic#A_technical_perspective for more
information.
optionally, the property /sim/atc/airline can be set set to a three letter icao
airline code. By way of illustration, I will commit a number of startup preset
files setting these properties shortly.

In order to simplify the procedure somewhat, I have just committed two small
xml to the git fgdata repository, which you can include in your startup
sequence. I deliberately keep the number of sample startup setting files small,
because the system may still need some fine tuning and I don't want to end up
changing hundreds of startup configuration files.

To give a few examples on using the new option:

Starting up a commercial 777 flight at KSFO:
fgfs --aircraft=777-200ER --airport=KSFO --parkpos=AVAILABLE
--config=/path/to/fgdata/Startup/777-commercial.xml

Doing the same, but now explicitly requesting the startup location for a
specific airline:
fgfs --aircraft=777-200ER --airport=KSFO --parkpos=AVAILABLE
--config=/path/to/fgdata/Startup/777-commercial.xml --prop:/sim/atc/airline=UAL

This feature is highly experimental and I haven't had the chance yet to test it
out on a great variety of airports (specifically not on ones without ground
networks), so please use with care, but have fun. :-)

Obviously, you do need to build from the latest source or get a recent snapshot
dated Sept 17 or later for this to work.

Cheers,
Durk