On 17 Sep 2011, at 21:45, Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> /sim/dimensions/radius-m
> /sim/aircraft-class ?

> It might be worth having this  multi-valued, so classes
> such as WWII fighter can be identified bit as mil-combat, and WWII.

Looking at the -set.xml and Liveries/*.xml files in our aircraft database, I
think that it should be possible to implement this the way you suggested. The
radius parameter can go into the -set.xml, and the reasonable defaults could
also be provided there for the /sim/aircraft-class.

Then it looks like the essential function that the Liveries/*.xml files to is
override some default values of properties, so it should be easy to implement
this. I think I would like to settle on the property names as you proposed:

/sim/dimensions/radius-m
/sim/aircraft-class
/sim/aircraft-operator (which has a slightly broader connotation than
"airline").

In addition, I would propose adding a fourth property:

/sim/dimentions/parkpos-offset-m

As pointed out in the forum, aircraft don't always park correctly at the right
location, so it would be desirable to specify an offset, which places the
aircraft with the nose wheel at the parking.

I'm awaiting furhter comments. I'll probably make a testcase by adding these
properties to the 777-200ER (locally, just to test), and if there are no
objections, I'll investigate if there is a way to automate the adding some
reasonable default values of all our aircraft in the git repositories. (We have
519 -set.xml files, 821 Liveries/*.xml files).

cheers,
Durk