Hi Stuart,

On 17 Sep 2011, at 21:45, Stuart Buchanan wrote:

> However, I think that the properties  you've defined have a use beyond
> just ATC, so hiding them under /sim/atc and only loading them as additional
> config feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity to me.

Thanks for your comments. Just to expand a little on my previous mail:
Your quote is exactly the reason why I wrote in my commit log that I'm only
providing two sample preset files. I expect things to change considerably, but
just provided these two presets as a test case.

I also think that radius should get into the aircraft file, because it
essentially is a physical property. For the other two, things are a little more
complicated. Because they are not as strictly tied to the aircraft itself, but
more to its use. Although there usually is a strong correlation between the
aircraft type and it's use, there are some subtle differences. For instance, a
DC10 would normally be used as an airliner (albeit one that it rapidly
dissappearing from the skies), but it could also be used as a military
transport. or tanker (the latter two would probably both match the
mil-transport flight-type). My gut feeling is that 99.99% of all of these cases
could be dealt with by the livery select mechanism; If we set the livery to be
a commercial airliner, the airline, and flight-type properties should change to
reflect this, and when we want it to be a ga plane, choosing the new livery
should change these properties accordingly. Just wondering whether the current
livery select dialog is capable of changing other properties as well. I once
played with it, but that was a long time ago.

With respect to changing the property names, that should be easy. They're
currently used only in one single isolated section fo fg_main.cxx, so it
changing names, etc. etc. is really easy.

Cheers,
Durk