On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 4:37 PM, Durk Talsma wrote:
> Hi All,
> I just added some new code to src/Main/fg_init.cxx that allows FlightGear's
> airport dynamics functions to give you a valid parking position without
> having to bother about the details of whether the parking is of hte right
> type, whether it is large enough, etc etc. To achieve this, the --parkpos
> option recognizes the keyword AVAILABLE (in capitals). However, in order to
> get it to work, you need to set some properties:

Hi Durk,

This looks like a really nice feature. Thanks!

However, I think that the properties  you've defined have a use beyond
just ATC, so hiding them under /sim/atc and only loading them as additional
config feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity to me.

> /sim/atc/radius:

Surely this is simply a set property of an aircraft, and should be set in the
aircraft-set.xml file itself, rather than in some additional Startup
XML fragment?

I'd say it doesn't really belong under /sim/atc as it's a general
physical property
of the aircraft. /sim/dimensions/radius-m perhaps?

(I'm thinking that there are other physical attributes of the aircraft
that might
be of interest in the future - wing-span, length, door location for animated
jetways/stairs, nosewheel location for towing).

Similarly,  /sim/atc/flight-type seems like it should be a more
generic aircraft class
property and should also be in the -set.xml file. It could be used by
launchers and
web pages to filter the various types of aircraft, as well as by ATC
code. How about
/sim/aircraft-class ? It might be worth having this  multi-valued, so classes
such as WWII fighter can be identified bit as mil-combat, and WWII.

I'm think of this from the perspective of an idea I had a long time
ago to allow users
to filter the visible aircraft. So, for example someone might want to
take part in a
WWII fly-in and only see WWII era aircraft by default.

Equally, being able to filter the aircraft in FGRun or the website so you only
see the civilian airliners would seem to be a good idea.

I'd hope that neither of these of these changes would make much difference from
the AI/ATC perspective, but they open up some interesting new features.

-Stuart