Hi Erik,

On Friday, December 30, 2011 11:39:37 Erik Hofman wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-30 at 10:42 +0100, Mathias Fröhlich wrote:
> > * If it's just the mipmaps. May be we can precompute the mipmaps using
> > the cpu in the database loader thread. This would help all textures not
> > only the ones that could be converted. May be this is the most generic
> > solution.
> Ok I'm quite convinced it's a mipmap problem.
> I tested uncompressed dds textures with pre generated mipmaps with
> different compression techniques but none of them improve the situation
> much. Switching to uncompressed DDS textures with mimaps however speeds
> things up roughly three times (just onder 3 sec. instead of around 10
> sec to switch).
Great to know! Thanks for testing.

I think then, computing mipmaps for any texture file on the CPU in the loader
thread should globally improove the situation.
Also avoiding the compression already in the files should help every use case.
Except that the on disk memory consumption is higher.
Well and except that the database loader has more work to do on the CPU.

Mathias