Hi,

On Friday, December 30, 2011 00:09:20 Csaba Halász wrote:
> I wonder if there is an open standard counterpart that can do the same
> as the dds compression? Or is the whole idea patented? (Eww, too broad
> software patents are the work of the devil).

No, Sadly.

It is all about an OpenGL extension that could be exposed or not. If it is
exposed you are allowed to provide texture images in the precompressed format.
If this is not exposed you are not allowed and the implementation may behave
undefined. This is perfectly legal for an OpenGL implementation -  the usual
extension behaviour. By providing these precompressed data blobs without
checking for this extension is an applications fault.
Ok, what to do if we detect that we cannot feed the implementation with these
blobs?
We could try to decompress the blobs? ---> No, patent infringement!!!
Just feed the blobs? ---> No, the driver may behave undefined - at least it
does not work as expected.

So, what can we do?
I can see several approaches:

* Just do not use the patented compression stuff. The precomputed mipmaps could
probably do the job of avoiding the hangs (hopefully? to be checked?). May be
we could lower disk space usage by providing a dds.gz or similar wrapper?

* If it's just the mipmaps. May be we can precompute the mipmaps using the cpu
in the database loader thread. This would help all textures not only the ones
that could be converted. May be this is the most generic solution.

* Implement some kind of image lookup order that knows if the compressed files
could be handled or not. On loading an image in case of available compression
first try to find a dds file with the same name of the original one. That
involves some 'magic' which often leads to problems but that could at least
work.

Other ideas? Also may be creative ones?

Next step is to make sure that compression is not required to avoid the hangs.
My favorite bet would be that then the new configure option regarding texture
compression needs to be set to none.

Greetings

Mathias