On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM, James Turner wrote:
> Observations
>        - where did all the quads come from? Is my card going to a slow path
> to submit quads?

The Quads came from all the random buildings you've just created (or
have I misunderstood?) Each building consists of 9-12 quads, depending
on whether it has a pitched roof or not.

Perhaps I should be using a QUAD_STRIP instead. Don't know if that
would make much difference though.

>        - why do I have an extra 300 drawables with building on, and why
> aren't they fast?
>                (and there seems to be one extra primitive set per drawable,
> fair enough...)

The extra 300 Drawables are from the quadtree that is generated to a)
make culling fast b) to provide a mixture of LOD so that buildings
don't all appear in big blocks.  That code is taken directly from the
random vegetation,  and I could look at reducing the size of the quad
tree, at the expense of worse cull performance and/or less fade-in.

(I must own up to not looking at the OSG stats before now

> I guess I can hack the code to builds tris instead of quads, and see if that
> matters. If it does I'm going to have fun updating *all* the code to only
> submit pure tris!

The relevant code for the random buildings is in
scene/tgdb/SGBuildingBin.cxx (IIRC), and would be pretty easy to hack
into not very pretty triangles by simply commenting out the fourth
vertice in each block, if you didn't mind living in an abstract house
:)

-Stuart