Computing constant values at runtime is bad design and we should not do
that. No matter if we notice a significant increase in load time now or
not. The ground elevation at a specific point is well known at scenery
generation time and that is where the vertical position of an object has
to be computed. Not in the main loop at the moment of scenery loading
where computing time is precious.

I can think of one scenario where the information "offset from ground
aka AGL" is necessary. This is when the scenery gets recreated and the
ground elevation changes. In that case, objects may float above or sink
into the ground with a fixed altitude. IMHO, our scenery database needs
to know about that offset to create the correct altitude for an object
in the scenery.

I would not want to see _any_ object in the scenery with a position
specified by AGL.

If that feature helps scenery developers to _temporary_ place objects,
may I suggest that this code is enclosed in #ifdef's and only enabled
during compile time with a special CMAKE switch and never enabled for a
release?

Torsten