> ..maybe in the old days, nowadays, some grass is green, most
> of it, say 4/5 is a pale dull yellow when the snow comes.
> Climate change, grass grows about 3 months longer now, than
> in the 1960-ies when grass was cut once, nowadays farmers get
> 3 harvests.

The whole discussion brings again a long standing issue to my mind.

It's a slider. It's in fact part of a menu of several environent-controlling
sliders. Which means that you (the user) is supposed to adjust it.

Now, my philosophy is - what you get as a user here is a tool which gives you
infinite options how precisely your terrain may look like. You can have a dry
autumn, a wet autumn, just a bit of snow on dry autumn - all by adjusting the
sliders.

The price you have to pay is that you actually have to think a bit, because the
system allows you to select silly and unnatural combinations. You can have snow
in Hawaii, you can have desert dust in rainforest, you can combine dust and
season to kill vegetation off completely in central Europe.

>From where I stand, having infinite possibilities seems more interesting than
>just having 4 pre-defined season textures. But having 4 pre-defined scenarios
>is on the other hand fool-proof - you will not be able to select a silly
>combination. But we may disagree on that.

My goal is to be able to simulate a realistic seasonal change of the terrain by
_suitable_ slider adjustments which need to be chosen based on region,
vegetation and conditions. My goal is not to make any combination of slider
adjustments work everywhere.

But if there is otherwise general consensus that we should operate FG in such a
mode as to prevent unrealistic user input, just let me know, and I remove the
environment postprocessing from GIT and keep it in my own devel branch. I am
decidedly not keen on feedback along the lines 'Oh, look, if I adjust the
sliders like that, it really looks bad!'

So if climate change affects your region and you believe that vegetation
doesn't get all brown, then just do not move the slider all the way. It's as
simple as that, and I really shouldn't need to write that here.

* Thorsten