On Monday 31 December 2007 11:25:29 Curtis Olson wrote:
> I am thinking it would be fun to schedule a multi-player fun fly tomorrow
> (New Year's Day).

I think this is a good idea and I am allmost always up for this sort of thing
if my schedule is open.  I will try to be there although it is fairly early
in the morning for me considering that I will likely be up late tonight.

snip

> I would be the CD (contest director) and would annouce the
> next competition task and competition order via the MP chat system.

I have trouble reading this on my system.  Is there a way to increase the font
size?

It would be even better to have voice communications either through FGCOM (I
don't think this is ready for real use yet but I have not tried it) or
perhaps a TeamSpeak setup.  My experience using TeamSpeak for formation work
has been good.  But this would require more lead time for most folks than
just one day.  But maybe this could be setup and announced in advance the
next time there is an event like this so that people can get their voice
communications setup and tested in advance.

snip

> Place: KHAF (Half Moon Bay) Runway 12.  Congregate around the end of runway
> 12, but leave the runway clear for participants.  Participants must remain
> in the queueing area around rwy 12 when not competing.

I assume this means the taxiway to the left (north west) of rwy12?  Perhaps
non-participants (spectators) can position themselves  on the other side of
the runway so that they are out of the way.

> Weather: Enable real weather (which is forecasted to be moderate at KHAF
> tomorrow morning)

Probably the weather will be more or less like it is right now at that
location.  I just checked it out and right now the weather there is very good
for flying (clear with light winds).  Perhaps participants should spend some
time familiarizing themselves with the airport layout today.

> Aircraft: stock unmodified dhc2W (the wheel version of the DeHaviland
> Beaver)

Good choice, good model, fairly easy to fly but does require some taildragger
skills.  But is not very good for aerobatics work.  Perhaps it would be
possible to schedule another event like this (perhaps the first Saturday in
Feb or something similar) were the tasks will be aerobatic in nature (IE. fly
a knife edge pass just off the runway for the full length of the runway) and
we can then use an easy to fly fully aerobatic aircraft like the PC-7.

It might also be better to use an airport with more than one runway.  This
would allow participants to land on the alternative runway after completing a
task to get back in line without causing delays.

> Who: Anyone who can operate the dhc2W through basic aviation tasks.  People
> can also show up as spectators only, this is for fun and we are all trying
> it for the first time.

Please show up on time since users entering the MP server causes significant
pauses in other users simulations.  Getting there on time will minimize these
disruptions.

snip

> (and we'll have a couple f16's circling in case we
> think anyone may be cheating.) :-)

I assume they will shoot down any cheater?

Hal