On Dec 31, 2007 4:26 PM, Hal V. Engel <t> wrote:

> I have trouble reading this on my system.  Is there a way to increase the
> font
> size?

That sounds like a good question for Melchior ... our gui guru.

It would be even better to have voice communications either through FGCOM (I
> don't think this is ready for real use yet but I have not tried it) or
> perhaps a TeamSpeak setup.  My experience using TeamSpeak for formation
> work
> has been good.  But this would require more lead time for most folks than
> just one day.  But maybe this could be setup and announced in advance the
> next time there is an event like this so that people can get their voice
> communications setup and tested in advance.
>
> I assume this means the taxiway to the left (north west) of rwy12?
>  Perhaps
> non-participants (spectators) can position themselves  on the other side
> of
> the runway so that they are out of the way.
>
> Probably the weather will be more or less like it is right now at that
> location.  I just checked it out and right now the weather there is very
> good
> for flying (clear with light winds).  Perhaps participants should spend
> some
> time familiarizing themselves with the airport layout today.
>
> Good choice, good model, fairly easy to fly but does require some
> taildragger
> skills.  But is not very good for aerobatics work.  Perhaps it would be
> possible to schedule another event like this (perhaps the first Saturday
> in
> Feb or something similar) were the tasks will be aerobatic in nature (IE.
> fly
> a knife edge pass just off the runway for the full length of the runway)
> and
> we can then use an easy to fly fully aerobatic aircraft like the PC-7.
>
> It might also be better to use an airport with more than one runway.  This
> would allow participants to land on the alternative runway after
> completing a
> task to get back in line without causing delays.
>
> Please show up on time since users entering the MP server causes
> significant
> pauses in other users simulations.  Getting there on time will minimize
> these
> disruptions.

All excellent points to consider.  I'm hoping that folks have so much fun
with this that we end up needing to schedule regular contests and group
sessions.  And I'm hoping that we'll get a few volunteer organizers down the
road ... I'm probably only good for running a couple a year.  For tomorrow
we are hopefully just going to have fun flying around a bit and not get into
heavy aerobatics, but maybe we'll try to push the limits of the airplane and
people's nerve/good sense just a bit.  I'm really hoping I can induce at
least a few spectacular crashes.  We'll also be testing logistics and see if
the MP chat system is even feasible for this sort of thing ... I think it
will be if folks pay attention and don't miss when their name is called.

A real aerobatic competition would also be awsome ... we could lay out some
precise manuevers that are required and then just everyone's performance ...
we could get really rigorous with something like this and mimic the rules of
full scale (or R/C) aerobatic competitions.

We could also meet at some airport and have a group fly to somewhere else
that involved an interesting route or interesting weather conditions.

It would even be a ton of fun to just get a dozen people out flying the
pattern in light singles and have everyone announcing their positions and
intensions each time around like it was a real airport ... I could probably
do that for hours and not get bored.

We also have a carrier which might be turned into a fun group activity.

There are many types of races we could consider ...

There really is no limit to what we could do if people apply a small amount
of creativity with this.  My goal here is to get the ball rolling so we can
have more and more of these events in the future.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/
Unique text: 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d