Hi Owen and all,

Owen wrote:

>Performance event for an e-trial (of a concept)

-define the concept on trial<

I suppose it is the concept of  unprovoked abuse.

As I see it unprovoked abuse is on trial. In fact it is hard to think of a
charge...I would suggest the charge of "mental cruelty" in that an
individual has a relationship with a list and unprovoked abuse will destroy
the quality of that relationship possibly to a degree where the relationship
can no longer function.

Although if anyone else has any ideas for how to formulate the charge
they're probably better than mine so I'd welcome them.

Actually maybe this trial will give people a chance to state why they feel
how they do about these issues. So far neither Heiko nor Brad who both
objected to the removal of mo***ento have stated a clear case for why they
believe this action to have been wrong. I presume that one of you will take
the part of the defence in this case since no-one else on the list seems to
support your views regarding this (or if they do they've not said so).

I think this "trial of a concept" idea is one way for us to explore these
issues rather than just argue about them. Brad I think you believe
unprovoked abuse is okay, I don't know why you believe this and it would be
interesting to hear your views . I'm quite happy to attempt the role of
prosecution of unprovoked abuse on a charge of "mental cruelty" on the basis
of the existing evidence as well as testimony from witnesses and victims.

The issues surrounding this will be quiet interesting. After all there are a
lot of newsgroups on which people seem to spend all their time flaming one
another yet people stay on them and seem to enjoy flaming each other.
Obviously the relationship between members of those newsgroups is worlds
away from that on Fluxlist.

I believe possible outcomes of this trial are decisions regarding an
individual's expectations of the community of which he or she is a part. As
you know I believe members of Fluxlist expect a community of mutual respect
and trust, hence unprovoked abuse has no place in this type of community. In
the case of a newsgroup where flame is an everyday thing that is enjoyed by
many, members will expect abuse to be a normal part of their interaction
with one another and thus those who stay a part of the newsgroup are
agreeing to a community where that form of interaction is accepted.

Anyway...maybe others have thoughts on this? I do feel that the key problem
with unprovoked abuse is that when someone attacks you you feel a loss of
confidence in the community, there is a loss of trust because this is not a
part of your expectations of that community.

I'm just thinking out loud really. Sorry if the whole business is boring
some people, I'm sure it will be.

Ever since I first took part in online discussions several years ago I've
wanted to know why it is that people are far more ready to be abusive in the
virtual world than in the real one. Perhaps people don't value online
interaction as much as face-to-face interaction. In an art context this is
perhaps analogous to those mail artists who have no interest in meeting
their correspondents face-to-face.

Anyway, throw your thoughts in the basket as it were.

cheers,

Sol.