Consider offloading some of your creativity burden onto your computer. The
idea is:

  It's easier to recognize and refine something interesting than to create
it.

So turn it into a search, recognition, and refinement problem, and automate
creation. There are various techniques, which certainly can be combined:

* constraint programming
* generative grammar programming
* genetic programming
* seeded fractals

You might be surprised about how much of a world can be easily written with
code rather than mapping. A map can be simplified by marking regions up
with code and using libraries of procedures. Code can sometimes be
simplified by having it read a simple map or image.

Remember, the basic role of programming is to automate that which bores you.

Regards,

Dave