> Can POLs be designed such that uses of POLs ensure good design?  Good
> architecture?  I am way beyond my technical knowledge here.

Bad code can be written in any language, and even good code can be used to
develop bad ideas and architectures. You can't ever "ensure" good design,
not least of all because it's unreasonably difficult to define "good".

But you can develop POLs that "encourage" useful features that tend to be
part of a good design, i.e. by making the path-of-least-resistance be the
right thing, by supporting compositional reasoning and static analysis, by
making tests easy to specify and perform. Conversational or self-explaining
computations can make documentation more interactive. All this is also true
of general purpose programming. Though, when you have problem-specific
languages you can usually achieve a much higher degree of composition.
(E.g. it's easier to compose graphics than to compose arbitrary
subprograms.)

Probabilistic languages certainly have a lot of utility at the
human-computer interface - not only for text commands, but for use of voice
or gesture. (There is an augmented-programming google group that's
interested in such possibilities. The notion of 'live programming' tends to
bridge the gap with HCI.)

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM, John Carlson <yottz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess what I am asking for is a critic service.  For both POLs and uses
> of POLs.  Can POLs be designed such that uses of POLs ensure good design?
> Good architecture?  I am way beyond my technical knowledge here.
> On Feb 15, 2013 1:19 PM, "John Carlson" <yottz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I know of a few sites/tools which critcise your wesite...is there one for
>> css?
>> On Feb 15, 2013 1:02 PM, "John Carlson" <yottz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry we got into a big discussion about the web.  I really want to
>>> discuss POLs for rules, css being one of them.  And in particular, once we
>>> have a good POL, how to test it, and author with it--how to create a great
>>> POL program?

>>> w/o a designer?  Can we use statistics to create a great solitaire
>>> player--i have a pretty good stochastic solitaire player for one version of
>>> solitaire...how about others?  How does one create a great set of rules?
>>> One can create great rule POLs, but where are the authors?  Something like
>>> cameron browne's thesis seems great for grid games.  He is quite prolific.
>>> Can we apply the same logic to card games? Web sites?  We have "The Nature
>>> of Order" by c. Alexander.  Are there nile designers or fuzz
>>> testers/genetic algorithms for nile?

>>> POLs check out fantasy grounds...xml hell.  We can do better.

bringing s-words to a pen fight