Thanks a lot for that link, Chris!

In 1998 I used Genetic Programming to evolve controllers for an embedded
system (aircraft arrestment) and was using a simulator of the system for
the evolutionary searches. I also found several bugs in the simulator which
had already been in heavy use by engineers for several years. Unfortunately
I did not analyze these bugs in any detail in the paper and don't remember
all the details any longer:

http://www.robertfeldt.net/publications/feldt_1998_diverse_sw_with_gp.html

I have been getting back to search-based software testing recently and
during 2014 we will release automated testing tools (an extension of our
GödelTest approach:
http://www.robertfeldt.net/publications/feldt_2013_godeltest.html ) that
use different search approaches (some evolutionary, other  deterministic)
to search for test data and test case for more standard software.

Cheers,

Robert

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 12:51 AM, Chris Warburton <chriswa...@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> It wasn't one of Sims', it's here
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STkfUZtR-Vs
> According to the voiceover there's not as much variation allowed as I
> remember. Still amusing though :)
>

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Robert Feldt <robert.fe...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I don't think I remember the "exploding myself" strategy from Karl Sims
>> videos:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBgG_VSP7f8
>>
>> Do you remember where you saw that, Chris?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Robert Feldt
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Chris Warburton <
>> chriswa...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> interesting
>>> the
>>>
>>> Reminds me of a video I saw on YouTube (can't find it at the moment)
>>> where a genetic algorithm evolved creatures (collections of sticks,
>>> joints and motors) in a physics simulation. The goal was to move the
>>> furthest distance, in the hope that they'd walk/crawl/etc. In fact, one
>>> of them triggers a bug in the simulation which causes it to explode,
>>> sending its body parts flying in all directions. This immediately
>>> dominates the population, so all the creatures start exploding.
>>>
>>> I suppose the morals are:
>>>
>>> 1) Evolutionary methods are good at finding bugs
>>> 2) Your fitness function is not selecting for what you think it is ;)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris
>>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>
>> /Robert Feldt
>> --
>> Tech. Dr. (PhD), Professor of Software Engineering
>> Blekinge Institute of Technology, Software Engineering Research Lab, and
>> Chalmers, Software Engineering Dept
>> Explanea.com - Igniting your Software innovation
>> robert.feldt (a) bth.se    or    robert.feldt (a) chalmers.se    or
>>  robert.feldt (a) gmail.com
>> Mobile phone: +46 (0) 733 580 580
>> http://www.robertfeldt.net <http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~feldt>

Best regards,