Keith Packard wrote:

>Around 14 o'clock on Jun 29, Yao Zhang wrote:
>
>>Sure, I will install as many Chinese fonts as possible and get the
>>fonts.cache for you.  But before that, I will show you serveral lines in my
>>fonts.cache:
>>

>I'm afraid the mailers corrupted the rather long lines in those files, but
>given that I've discovered that GB2312 is a relatively strong test for
>suitability for simplified chinese, perhaps we can avoid sending this data
>at all.
>
>>Now for lang, ZYSong18030 is labelled as
>>    lang=simplifiedchinese
>>while SimSun-18030 is labelled as
>>
>lang=latin1,arabic,simplifiedchinese,koreanwansung,traditionalchinese,koreanjohab,arabic864,arabicasmo708,us
>>

>These language tags come from the OS/2 table and are set by the font
>designer.  If, as our friend Jungshik Shin says, simplified forms were
>not unified with traditional forms in the BMP, then it's quite reasonable
>to build a font that can cover both languages.

Although both zysong and simsun are both from Beijing Zhongyi, but
zysong in Red Hat 7.3 is purely a GB18030 font file, it only contains
the characters defined in GB18030 standard. And simsun  does provide
extra characters to support other language like japanese etc. So the os2
table says so.

Regards,

Shao