I'd the same issue... but in my case, the complete file had 5k pages...

I splited it in the chapters, and it managed to run... even if the largest chapter had almost 800 pages.

To split it, you just need to find a way to "break" the source into parts and print to fo as if they where separated docs. And use the first-page-number (if i recall correctly... it was like 3 years ago hehehe) to change the page number on your "second" part to the number required...

Hope it helps...

Cheers,
;)