On 04 Jun 2009, at 15:30, nancy_b wrote:

Hi Nancy

Entering font triplets soothes FOP's pain - no warnings are generated :-) By the way, if you don't specify embed-url, how FOP knows where this file is
located? It's not in the standard /fonts folder.

That's what I'm wondering as well... Can you show the complete font- metrics element?

I removed the font registration from the conf file and recompiled. Nothing
has changed in the output -- still this darn #.

Wait a minute, I just noticed in your earlier post:

<fo:block/>
     &#x260E;Ž +1 (800) 425 9546
<fo:block/>

This will simply use the font-family that is specified on the parent fo:block. The symbol should be encapsulated in a fo:wrapper element (or entered as a fo:character) which explicitly resets the font-family to ZapfDingbats.

BTW: since the thread started with a question on how to avoid OOMErrors, you may want to consider (if possible) to avoid generating too many of those empty fo:blocks and instead switch to linefeed- treatment="preserve" to retain the explicit line-breaks.

<fo:block linefeed-treatment="preserve">&#x0A;&260E; +1 (800) 425 9546&#x0A;</fo:block>

produces the same output, but is massively more efficient in terms of memory consumption. Empty fo:blocks can still be useful if you want to get creative with space-before/space-after, but if you just need explicit line-breaks, then using something like preserved linefeeds, or Unicode line- or paragraph-breaks (&#x0085;, &#x2028; or &#x2029;) will save heaps of memory. Should work in 0.95.

Something similar for fo:inline, which is often used only to switch font-related properties. fo:wrapper does this just as well (since the font-properties are inherited), but are much less wasteful. If you don't need specific alignment-adjust (or borders, or any other non- inherited property), use wrappers instead of inlines.

That said, FOP Trunk will have no problem rendering the phone symbol in the original fragment, without requiring any additional intervention.

HTH!

Andreas