Hi Nancy,

Don’t put the new files in system-wide directories (/usr/share/java,
/usr/bin/build). Those directories are managed by Debian administration
tools and if you manually modify things there you’re likely to break
your system.

The ideal way is to create a Debian package containing the Trunk version
of FOP, and that will overwrite the official package distributed by
Debian. But not everyone can do that, so the usual way is to unzip the
new FOP in some of your own local folders, and make sure you call the
fop command from that folder (usually by giving the full path like
/home/nancy/fop-trunk/fop). There are ways to avoid typing the whole
path every time, but this is really getting off-topic for this list. If
you don’t know how to do you may want to ask some local Linux guru for
help.

HTH,
Vincent