On 2017-05-24 15:32, Santiago A. wrote:
But IMHO it
clearly shows how poorly git defaults and parameters have been chosen.
And I am afraid that has been one of the hinders of git adoption.

The problem goes much deeper than that. I once brought up the issue of inconsistent command line parameters in the Git mailing list and gave ideas I thought were improvements.

They immediately confirmed the problem, and the problem in finding a solution. Some issues raised:

  * Because git has so many options (way more than normal apps), one
    change can (and does) have affects on others.
  * Backwards compatibility. Changing the commands will break just about
    every Git GUI front-end there is. Many of them simply parse the
    output of a forked 'git' command. But they would actually consider
    doing this for the greater good - I was impressed.
  * Conflicting command line parameter "modes".

If interested, the discussion can be found here:

   https://www.mail-archive.com/git@vger.kernel.org/msg76433.html

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/