On 2017-05-30 06:53, Bo Berglund wrote:
OK, I did not have in mind to use an RPi3 as the final system. I just
wanted to acquaint myself with GIT using a small portable unit over
the summer.

In that case, you don't even need a RPi... Simply practice by doing the following on your local system:

  mkdir /data/myremote.git
  cd /data/myremote.git
  git init --share --bare .

You just created your remote [bare] git repository. The term "bare" means that there is no checked out files. If you view that directory it simply shows all the normally hidden files that git uses to manage a repository.

Now for your working repository where you will do you day-to-day commits:

  cd /data/devel/
  git clone /data/myremote.git/ mywork

You will now have a Git repository in /data/devel/mywork/ which is a clone of the /data/myremote.git repository. It as automatically set up the "origin" as your Remote Git Repo. So if you to a git-push, the data will go to "origin"

Now playing around in this "mywork" repository. Create commits and branches. Then do a git-push and magically you will have updated the "origin" remote git repo too (which in this case is /data/myremote.git/)

What you learn here, is exactly how you would do things with a real remote repository.

I highly recommend everybody interested in using Git reads the free and open source "Pro Git" book [https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2]. It is available online or offline in various formats (PDF, ePub etc). Is is well written, fast to read and with tons of real-world Git examples.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/