On 2017-05-30 22:19, Bo Berglund wrote:
Since my local system is a Windows 7 laptop I have to resort to an RPi
to get the Linux system for which the commands are native...

Git is native on all supported platforms now.

  mkdir /data/myremote.git
  cd /data/myremote.git
  git init --share --bare .

When you install Git under Windows using the official installer, it includes Bash Shell integration and a shortcut on the desktop. So the above commands will work as-is on Windows too.

But you can obviously run a non-Bash shell/console under Windows. Then simply replace the Unix-style paths with Windows variants. The git-init command stays the same.

So this should not be created inside some user home then?

You can create Git repositories wherever you want and have read/write access. My "/data" path is simply by 8TB ZFS data pool, where I do all my work and store all vital data. You can use your $HOME directory (whatever that translates to on your OS) just as well.

If you are going to share your Git repositories stored on your system with the public, then better make sure you set up your system's file permissions correctly, or use a dedicated "shared location" on your system. Alternatively don't make your laptop or desktop directly accessible to the public on the Internet, instead push your repository to a public and secure server somewhere (eg: Github, SourceForge etc).

You mentioned you wanted to play around with Git and get to grips with it - hence I suggested a local setup without the need of a RPi or some other device.

I have read a few chapters on-line, including installing git using the
command:
sudo apt-get install git-all

which (of course) differs from the commands I have found in various
other how-to pages concerning git...

The Linux distros are to blame for that - more specifically ther incompatible "package management requirements". I always install git from source code and compile it myself (like I do with FPC and Lazarus too). Everything is then included - as it should be. Linux distros f*ck everything up and split it into multiple packages. eg: git-core, git-base, git-gui, git-subversion, git-docs etc. G*d damn ridiculous if you ask me!

I would very much like to have a PDF copy since I usually find that
easier to read than using on-line webpage versions of books.
Could not find the PDF though...

I just had a look. The links used to be on the Table Of Contents page, but for some odd reason they aren't there any more. No stress, The Internet Archive always comes to the rescue.

This is how it used to look like around 01 March 2017.

  http://web.archive.org/web/20170301183218/https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

The individual eBook downloads from that page still works though.

 PDF:
   https://progit2.s3.amazonaws.com/en/2016-03-22-f3531/progit-en.1084.pdf

 ePub:
   https://progit2.s3.amazonaws.com/en/2016-03-22-f3531/progit-en.1084.epub