Bo Berglund wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2015 19:48:54 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markmll.fpc-pas...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

Do not, under any circumstances, try to fiddle with the permission of those files/directories. Instead, add the gpio group to your normal user (as I have already said).

Jonas has already asked us to discuss this elsewhere, i.e. either the fpc-other or lazarus-other mailing list, and I really do not want to upset the list managers by going into basic unix management or into things which are specific to managing the RPi.

Having said that, by analogy if you want to drive one of the serial ports on a Linux system you usually end up adding the dialout group to your normal user ID. If you aren't prepared to discuss this in one of the more general MLs, then I suggest researching that and then extending what you learn to adding the gpio group to your normal user.

Sorry for causing a problem here...
The lists you refer to are not present in the Gmane newsserver as a
newsgroup so I cannot access it.

I have asked about this on the Pi forum instead, but I fear noone
(almost) over there use free-pascal so I have no high hopes.

The user pi seems to be in the required group so I take it there is no
need to sudo any execution of the program for user pi?
pi@rpi2b-wheezy ~ $ groups pi
pi : pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users netdev
input spi i2c gpio

Or add the gpio group to your normal userid. However the "right" way of doing this usually relies on a system-specific user management program (the "wrong" way, which most people use in practice, is to edit /etc/group and /etc/gshadow).

I will try to locate an updated pigpio.pas file by asking in the
Lazarus forum instead.

I would strongly suggest going through /sys/class/gpio first, since you can exercise it using echo and there are fewer things to get wrong.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk