Well, hmmf. Mine says "Page has Overprint: No," and knocks out everything below it. I even tried using a drawn rectangle on the body page, as you did, instead of a background graphic. Same result. I also tried setting the color definition of regular black to overprint. Same result. So there must be a bug in my FM10 or Acrobat 2017. I wonder if I have a plugin that conflicts and causes the failure.

Mike