Hi Mike,

in the office where I work, we still have the old FM 10 installed.

I checked this here and it is still the same as with the other FM versions. (BTW, I always work with "save as PDF", stopped using the print to ps-file nonsense in 2007 with FM 8.)

Well, how do you know that there is an overprint?
This will be decided while effectively printing or separating, it cannot be seen as such in the PDF. (Not in my test...)

Here is the result, checked with the "Quite revealing" tool.
The black color was successfully set to "overprint" in FM 8, FM 10 and FM 2017:

The rectangle behind is defined as knockout (both screenshots show the same area of the PDF).

Best -- Tino (Heiko)

Ok, this has gotten way weirder, but I have managed a partial solution that lets me create this particular file the way I want. I suspect the book will bomb out, though. I've always had trouble getting Save as PDF to work with books. Here is what fixed it enough for now:

1. I used Save as PDF. Print to PDF does not seem capable of passing overprints to PDF. But, even using Save as PDF, Acrobat may say "Page has Overprint: Yes," but still knockout backgrounds.

2. Changing ink from 100% black to 99% black in my Overprint Black color definition, makes it overprint. Oddly, creating an Overprint Yellow at 100% works fine. Magenta and Cyan do not overprint, even at 99% ink. Fortunately, I only need black to work in this book.

Anyway, I've been troubleshooting for two days. As long as black works, I'm probably okay. I'll be back if I can't get the whole book to Save as PDF.

And, a final note to Heiko, I'm curious how you created your PDF and if you actually turned off individual ink plates to see if overprints actually worked or if Acrobat was just lying to you, like it did to me! :)

Mike Wickham