Man, I am cursed in this thread. The third link the message below, should be http://mikewickham.com/misc/3.gif <http://mikewickham.com/misc/3.gif>. I left out the misc in the link. D'oh!

Mike Wickham

On 4/15/2021 1:11 PM, Mike Wickham wrote:
I set all four colors (CMYK) to process and overprint. Using Save as PDF (not print to Adobe PDF).

Below, you can see the PDF with all four plates turned on in Output Preview. It is easy to see that yellow is overprinting. It turns green on top of cyan, and  easy to see that black is, too-- although not so much in this GIF. The black is darker over the cyan, wit the "E" showing in two colors, as expected with overprinting. The cyan and magenta plates, though, are not correctly overprinting and have letters of unchanged color where they are supposed to overprint:

CMYK <http://mikewickham.com/misc/1.gif>

Below is the PDF with the black and yellow plates turned off. You can see that they were overprinted. The full cyan plate remains:

CM plates only <http://mikewickham.com/misc/2.gif>

Below is the image with the magenta plate turned off. You can see that it knocks out the cyan plate, even though all colors are set to overprint:

CYK only <http://mikewickham.com/3.gif>

And below is the cyan plate turned off. It knocks out the yellow plate, even though all colors are set to overprint:

MYK only <http://mikewickham.com/misc/4.gif>

So there is definitely some error in the process. Overprinting works with black and yellow plates, but not cyan and magenta. The Object Inspector in Acrobat works similarly to your Quite Revealing. It accurately shows what the PDF presents, i.e. overprint=true for black and yellow, but false for cyan and magenta. I confirmed this by printing to a Xerox Phaser CMYK printer to be sure it wasn't a display artifact.

I cannot figure out why overprints are only flowing to the PDF for two of the four plates! All four color definitions are set to Process Overprint in FrameMaker.

Mike Wickham