On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 05:21:43PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> Last time I looked, getmail upstream development was dead, and only
> supported Python 2.7. So I switched from getmail to fetchmail. It also
> had problems handling timeout errors from a dead SSL connection, and
> would hang for ever.
>
> Not sure if that is still the case or not.

No idea about the dead SSL connection issue. I haven't used it long
enough to properly evaluate it. Most of my experience is with
offlineimap (with Mutt).

The getmail changelog would suggest it is still supported, with the most
recent release being from late August.

http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/CHANGELOG

It is still available in Debian sid and buster, and there is some
interest on their mailing list in migrating getmail to Python 3 to keep
it in Debian (and to drop "historical cruft and backwards-compatibility
code"). It might be worth a look and perhaps giving them a hand.

https://marc.info/?t=157365903900002&r=1&w=2