The provox screen reader for dos which I would like to have added to
the freedos ftp site is currently located at:
http://www.thesiegelsnest.us/provox/provox7.zip
I don't (currently) have access to my other computer where I modified
the documentation, and created a .lsm file.  I will have this in a
couple weeks.  The program was put under the gpl, and I had contacted
the original author some time ago asking permission to try to get it
included in the freedos distribution, as well as take over development.
Both requests were granted, and now that I have a sourceforge
developer account, I'll likely upload the program there for initial
distribution, after I get back to the machine with the modifications
on it.
The program currently only works with hardware synthesizers (since
there weren't any software synths for dos.  However, since finding
one of these devices is relatively easy, since most folks who have
them no longer use them with a few exceptions such as myself and a
couple others I'm aware of, this shouldn't be a show stopper.
If a software synth could be developed, provox could easily be
extended to support such a synth, though I doubt such a program would
be useful, because of the amount of memory it would require, and
under dos, that's generally not practical.
So, If there are any other folks on list who use screen readers under
dos, feel free to grab this one and give it a try.
Adding additional synths is (relatively) simple, so if anyone has one
that isn't supported other than artic synths, I'm already working on
those, I'd be happy to try to add them.
Of course, artic synths can already be made to work by using either
the porttalk or accent sa options, but both modes lack some useful
features supported directly by the artic synthesizers themselves.

Included with this zip file is the a86 assembler used to compile the
code, which obviously would need to be removed for the freedos
distribution copy, since it's a completely separate application.
Otherwise, it's ready to go, and can be added at any time after I get
my version with updated docs and lsm file off the other machine.
hth.