On Jul 16, 2011, at 11:38 PM, Rugxulo wrote:

>> Included with this zip file is the a86 assembler used to compile the
>> code, which obviously would need to be removed for the freedos
>> distribution copy, since it's a completely separate application.
>
> Just for the record, A86 is shareware, so in theory it's fine
> including it (though obviously NASM would be better). Of course, I
> find it funny that you use an ancient copy (3.22 from 1990!) when even
> latest 4.05 has been stable for 10 years!!   ;-)    I assume there's
> no hard dependency on that particular version. Oh well, it doesn't
> matter right now, I just find it funny.   ;-)
I own the registered copy of a86, and I know 4.05 is the latest.  I
didn't write the provox program, merely took it over from it's
original author.  Apparently, 3.22 is the version used for development.
Another reason why I figured it would be better to separate the
assembler from the screen reader.

As for porting it to nasm, that's not something I've looked at yet, I
expect it won't be a straightforward port, but perhaps it will
surprise me and work out quickly and easily. :)
I'll not be able to check into that for quite some time though, since
I'm in the middle of a move, and my hardware is scattered between two
different states.