Hi,

On 7/18/11, Travis Siegel <tsie...@softcon.com> wrote:

> On Jul 17, 2011, at 5:37 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
>>
>> However, DTC.LIB doesn't seem to have sources, but I'm not sure what
>> exactly that does or if it's needed or what the deal is
>
> The dtc.lib is the library required to talk to dectalk synthesizers.
> Source is not available, but I've seen it included in other products

Might have to omit that file, at least for FreeDOS.

> I know dec had sold dectalk somewhere along the line, though who owns
> rights to it now is a huge question, (and was at the time I had been
> talking to the original dectalk folks) but since I personally haven't
> heard a peep out of anyone relating to the lib, and as far as I know,
> nobody else has either, it may be a moot point, but that's only gpl/
> freeware talking, not commercial distribution plans as is needed with
> some of the other windows/dos screen readers, so there may or may not
> be something lurking there, but I tend to doubt it.

If you can find out, it'd be great. But realistically, I know it's
hard to find people for stuff like that. Probably easier just to omit
the lib and only support other synths.

(BTW, if this is DEC as in Digital Equipment Corporation [though I
doubt it], it would probably be owned by HP these days, I think.)

> However, it's easy enough to remove the lib if it becomes absolutely
> necessary, which would disable support for dectalk synths, though I'm
> relatively sure (though not positive) that other external synths will
> still operate. I can do some testing after I get all my hardware in a
> single location.

Ideally yes, that would be best ... for now. I hate it but gotta play
it safe. (Heh, Jim is a license purist.)

> Again, I stress that this archive as currently posted is as I
> received it, and not with the modified docs/license file I worked on
> afterwords.  I'm of course willing to make whatever changes are
> necessary to get this into freedos archives, since  it really is the
> best place for it, so that folks who need it will have a much easier
> time finding it.

Right, anything to help people find useful software! Indeed that's
what a distribution is for. It's really not good enough (IMHO) to have
thousands of separate web pages with patches, forks, etc.

> As for a86, it may be possible that the author will be silling to
> relase shareware terms on a copy that could be included in freedos as
> well, even if it is w/o source, just for such cases as this.  I only
> talked with him once, but he sure seemed like the reasonable sort at
> the time.

Yes, I barely e-mailed him once or twice too, and he did seem
reasonable. Still, I don't see why we need A86 at all here, as long as
you're the one distributing it (as registered user). We can worry
about translating to NASM later.

First let's get it cleaned up (proper files), mirrored on iBiblio,
then have someone with suitable (non-"dec") hardware synth test it!
;-)