Hello Paul,

> On Nov 6, 2016, at 12:14 AM, Paul Dufresne <dufres...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> After installing in french, I get french keyboard...
> you might find it strange, but here in Quebec, we are totally lost
> with french keyboard.

Are you certain you selected the US English when you were presented with the
“Select your keyboard layout” screen. The installer preselects a layout on the
short keyboard layout list that is based on the language you are using.

EN —> US English (No keyboard layout, OS default QWERTY)
ES —> Spanish
FR —> French
DE —> German
NL —> Netherlands

So, if you selected French as your language in the beginning (or the installer
detects it from a previous installation), it would preselect the French Keyboard
Layout. User language and keyboard layout do different things.

Basically, the following happens during the installation.

Language selection causes:

LANG environment variable to be set to language code and sets this in
the AUTOEXEC.BAT as well.

If additional language settings are included in the language SETLANG.BAT
for that language, those are activated immediately and are also embedded
in the new AUTOEXEC.BAT. This is good for adding display settings and
whatnot. However, at present, this capability is unused.

If a custom FreeCOM shell for that language is present it uses it to replace
the default COMMAND.COM.

Keyboard layout selection causes:

The appropriate entry from that languages KEYBOARD.LST file to be spliced
into the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. In the list, items 1-9 are reserved for the short
keyboard layout list and from 10 on are the big scrolling “More choices” list.

It is possible that future versions of the installer will activate an
appropriate keyboard
layout during the installation and provide the user with a test and
verification screen.
However, since the topic did not come up until the release date was upon us, it
will
not be in 1.2 RC2 or Final. The community waited far to long to request the
keyboard
layout selection feature.

> US is much more usable for us.
>
> But then, when I type
> keyb us

The keyboard layouts I added use mkeyb instead of keyb, Typing,

mkeyb US

Will cause mkeyb to revert to US English QWERTY. This may not be the case for
all
future keyboard layouts. If they were provided, the installer could also use
xkeyb,
keyb and any other layout solution as well as mkeyb. Although the community
demanded the ability to select a keyboard layout in the installer, no-one has
provided
any. So, the entries I made are limited to the ones I felt were the most
popular and
were provided by mkeyb. I will not be making any more of them myself. It can be
a time consuming process and I have no way to test or verify any settings I
devise
are correct.

Thanks, Jerome