On Tue, 17 Oct 2017, Ralf Quint wrote:

On 10/17/2017 8:44 AM, Jim Hall wrote:

However, in looking at what "FreeDOS 2.0" might be, I think we are
maintaining some legacy softare that doesn't need to be part of "base"
anymore. So in looking at "FreeDOS 2.0," I am thinking about changing
what tools and utilities are installed when you choose "Base packages
only" versus "Full installation."

Let's start a discussion:

(1) What does "Base" mean in 2017 or 2018? I think there are some
packages we might take out of "Base" and move into a "Compat" package
group, such as:

APPEND
ASSIGN
GRAPHICS
JOIN
SUBST
others?

(2) Are there other packages we should install "Base" by default? I
don't want to make this a free-for-all, but perhaps there are some
utilities that should be "promoted" to "Base." What utilities do you
think should be moved to "Base" in "FreeDOS 2.0"?
For me, any  "Base" would mean that it contains everything that is
contained in a default MS-DOS 5.0 (or 6.22) set of floppy disk. That
would include those utilities that you marked for removal above.
Excluding them would IMHO violate your previously "Compatibility is
key!" mantra. One should be able to just replace a MS-DOS 5.0/6.22 set
of disks with a "base" FreeDOS disk set and have identical functionality...

Ralf

I may point that in MS-DOS 6 and PC DOS 6/7, several utilities previously part of the system were relegated to "supplemental" status or outright removed - and I think among them were the more dangerous tools like APPEND.

-uso.