Hi Jim, glad to hear that FreeDOS is so often downloaded :-)

Regarding compatibility, I think about EMS / XMS drivers
and how crashes with their default config might make first
time users give up attempts to try "FreeDOS for fun" and
return to DOSBOX for gaming... I also think about how an
improved version of VSB or similar SoundBlaster emulators
(based on protected mode traps, so not all games will be
compatible) can make FreeDOS more entertaining on real
hardware :-)

I would not move away any classic components which mimick
MS DOS 3, 4, 5 or 6 functionality: Remember how Windows
now contains zillions of files but it still works. As Ralf
wrote, making APPEND and similar tools 2nd class citizens
would hurt compatibility without having real advantages.

In general, I would include a variety of drivers for modern
hardware. As mentioned on BTTR, somebody recently tried a
few DOS games on VERY new hardware: First with MS DOS plus
Win9x FDISK (fails to boot from harddisk, so he installed
to harddisk and used a boot diskette) and then with FreeDOS
(boots from harddisk, supports USB drives). He then tries
some sound options, but fails to get JEMMEX / JEMMEX happy
and obviously has no pre-PCI slots on that (Ryzen based?)
computer either, so no SB Live etc. And no PC speaker, as
none was included with the case - mainboard still has the
header... In short, drivers help with modern computers :-)

I would not go as far as including Wireless network drivers,
obviously. Too complex etc. - see the newest bug in WPA2.
External bridge solutions via wired network are available.

You could add stuff like SETEDIT to BASE if you want fancy
features more than exact MS DOS style. But this is rather
optional for me: All MS DOS features fit on very few disks
and almost everybody downloads FreeDOS as ISO or USB boot
image anyway, so they can always install many bonus apps.

If you give me some URL with a list of all FreeDOS 1.2
packages in one page, it might be easier to think about
what should be excluded from 2.0, but I think this will
be mostly "exclude X with mediocre license because Y is
available as replacement". I would rarely exclude things
only because they are for example unmaintained. Well...
I guess the SSH and ICQ related packages are candidates
for the latter, because their age broke compatibility
with current servers. But apart from such cases, I would
keep most of 1.2 in 2.0 :-)

Regards, Eric