Hello all,
I figured I should clear a few things up.
First, my comments were in response to the discussion of FAT32+/ExFAT.  I
meant to suggest some other points to work on first (and comment on why
filesystem work isn't needed very much).

> seriously: is ANYBODY using Windows 3.x ?
>
> IMHO Windows 3.x is 100% obsolete, so why would anybody want windows
> 3.x support ?
IF they are, you can guarantee that they run DOS. This could mean the same
sort of mess I once got in with Win98 and FreeDOS (Freedos starts, Windows
doesn't-- "I HATE this ...").  It's similar if some enhanced mode software
stops working.

> Windows 3.0 and 3.1 are quite different. I disagree that they
> would be useless without 386enh mode. I remember WIN /S still
> was quite useful for me but then I do not use Win32s based
> (Win9x-ish) software that would require 386enh mode... :-).
> Windows 3 is probably not extremely obsolete - I remember
> even that "3.0 worked, 3.1 did not" of the deliberate DR
> DOS incompatibility long ago really hurt DR DOS market...

>> What does UDF support do? Enable copying video DVD?
>
> UDF is popular for rewritable disks, writing on the fly
> and large disks with large files, in the CD and DVD world.
> Many DVDs and CDs still have normal ISO9660 instead, sure.
So--where else will you get 4G+ files?
The point is that FAT32+ and ExFAT, while _potentially_ useful, are
getting ahead of what DOS can do. Once we have UDF/whatever else can use
4G files, it's time to start work. But now, it seems a misplaced priority

>> I seem to recall that SYS did not support FAT32 bootsectors for
>> Windows 95OSR2.x and Windows98/98SE/ME.
Or FAT16, for that matter!  It could make floppies, though.

> I would suggest to make XMS, no EMS, no UMB the default
> and keep the menu (yes, sorry :-p) to select options
> like "with JEMM386" or "run only DOS, do not start the
> installer" or maybe even "no driver minimal mode". Yet
> the latter is already covered when you use F5... ;-).
That sounds good (maybe with UIDEJR.SYS for universal cd driver)...though
discussion seems to belong on users/devel lists :)

Speaking of the menu, I understand that "0" works for safe mode--while the
configuration tool assigns a "4" or something else that doesn't. If that
could be fixed, it would be nice (and we make it easier on people who just
want to flash their BIOS).

> From: "Kenneth J. Davis"

> The Windows specific patches are minor but add a small amount of code
> hence the extra work to enable (Windows is the only application for
> them). The kernel worked with windows 3.11 in enhanced mode except for
> an issue with keyboard input in DOS boxes not going to the proper VM
> instance, but I think this is related to VM instancing which took the
> shotgun approach and not the proper these are the parts of the kernel
> that need to be instanced.  There are a couple settings in win.ini or
> system.ini that improve reliability, but really the hard part is
> getting a memory manager working reliably.  For the kernel, load
> FreeDOS share so windows does not try to load the vshare.vxd.  Windows
> actually goes a bit out of its way, if in a somewhat strange manner at
> times, to work with multiple DOS versions.  The important parts for
> Win3x support I think was really the support added for country (the
> internal hooks to allow somewhat reentrant use of DOS).  See
> http://wiki.fdos.org/Main/Windows for full details about using win3.

Thanks, Jeremy.
I should have said 386enh instead of WfW.
But this should be an option in all FreeDOS releases, including 1.1.

On another note:
Abort, Retry, Fail?
An A "should" abort, F should fail. But it takes several iterations to end
the loop, regardless of key. Someone posted a bug report, but I think
DOS386 misunderstood.  The bug is the number of times it takes.
Thanks,
ibidem