Hi Ibid,

> mess ... with Win98 and FreeDOS (Freedos starts, Windows doesn't

You can dual-boot with Win98 and FreeDOS actually sharing the
same C: drive, using a suitable boot menu and file locations.
You should use only the Win98-DOS kernel for starting Win98.

>> UDF is popular for rewritable disks, writing on the fly
>> and large disks with large files, in the CD and DVD world.
>> Many DVDs and CDs still have normal ISO9660 instead, sure.

> So--where else will you get 4G+ files?

That is my point - DOS apps do not use such big files, and
the handful of apps which process DVD or BD diskimages in
DOS can do so by splitting the images into smaller files.

> The point is that FAT32+ and ExFAT, while _potentially_ useful, are
> getting ahead of what DOS can do. Once we have UDF/whatever else can use
> 4G files, it's time to start work. But now, it seems a misplaced priority

Yes :-)

>> I would suggest to make XMS, no EMS, no UMB the default
>> and keep the menu (yes, sorry :-p) to select options
>> like "with JEMM386" or "run only DOS, do not start the
>> installer" or maybe even "no driver minimal mode". Yet
>> the latter is already covered when you use F5... ;-).

> That sounds good (maybe with UIDEJR.SYS for universal cd driver)

If it could include ELTORITO support with the same amount
of BIOS bug workarounds as the classic ELTORITO SYS driver?

> configuration tool assigns a "4" or something else that doesn't.

Very old and easy to fix bug - config sys menu items only work
if the kernel can see that they are in use. Add "4?echo item 4"
to your config sys or fdconfig sys to fix :-).

>> them). The kernel worked with windows 3.11 in enhanced mode except...
> I should have said 386enh instead of WfW.

Hmmm you mean 386enh in 3.1? Or do you mean WfW 3.11 default mode?
In WfW 3.11, the non-enhanced mode is just a minimal safe mode...

> Abort, Retry, Fail?
> An A "should" abort, F should fail. But it takes several iterations

That is a small bug in FreeCOM: It tries for COM EXE and BAT even if
the first attempt already gives an error which would make it obvious
that it is not useful to try the two other possibilities.

Eric