dos386 schreef:
> I assume enables reading files from DVD's, since I don't have a DVD
> drive, I don't care, also, USB devices are IMHO hevily superior
> to Blue/Red/HD/LD-DVD, so no +1 from me here :-| About video DVD,
> it reportedly already works with MPLAYER ...

DOS and USB doesnt mix that well somehow :)

> But the fine 20 years old "software written for it" is not available either
> so better focus on running up-to-date free Win32 software with free tools ;-)

So any 386/486 is ment for the garbage dump nowadays instead of doing
interesting stuff on it? I don't see Win9x running on it, nor Linux
anymore (by default compiled for 586 or 686 architecture nowadays).
ReactOS also aims at 586+, and no 16bit subsystem so far
>> and keep the menu (yes, sorry :-p) to select options
>> "run only DOS, do not start the installer"
>>

> YES :-)

Good point, though F5 also should work but then skips any additional
settings for variables etc. I think one of the FreeDOS menus had a bug
which consisted of no corresponding menu line for option 0.
> The enabled buggy drivers/TSR's/addons are an annoyance of 1.0 Distro ...

Agreed. Too much loaded, though the intention was to get a workable
system. We'll either load fewer drivers or see if the improved versions
of it are decent enough.
>> sys 3.6a is the current version, changes to older versions should be
>> considered for maintenance purposes only.
>> It is not unstable and it (or newer) will be in the 2039 kernel
>> release. The support for other DOSes is compile time selectable so
>> those dual booting need only 1 sys program and those who don't want it
>> can compile sys without it.  The FreeDOS sys was modified to work with
>> DR-DOS and those changes were later folded back into the official
>> version; now also as a compile time option to select FD sys or DR sys.

SYS 3.6A is the kernel 2038 sys program? If so I should stick to that
one I guess, maybe compile it myself for the added bootsector features
for experimental purposes and for setting up dualboot.

> Obsolete Win98 has its own bootloader included, no need for FreeDOS :-)

Bootloader for itself, not for booting an older operating system unless
it's MSDOS up to 6.22
> YES. This has been exhaustively discussed my mail, FreeCom
> won't get fixed since there is no maintainer, but there is
> "/F" switch. ;-)

The /F switch is great for seeing if there's disks in the drives :)

No idea which parts of FreeCOM Jeremy and/or Blair have been busy with,
but we'll stick to the current one. Maybe 4DOS is usable as decent
shell, it's hard to say.