> DOS and USB doesnt mix that well somehow :)

Where did you pick this theorem ??? And why the ":)" AKA "happy" smilie ???

Of course USB can work well on DOS. That it doesn't is because cca 2 people
are caring for now (+ cca 3 more in the past) and every of them is / was
brewing his own closed source thing rather than cooperating. Also, "hot-plug"
is no problem, just the fault of DOS disallowing to reevalutate
partitionning + size
of so-called "fixed disks" (letter "C" and above) has to be fixed :-)

> So any 386/486 is ment for the garbage dump nowadays

NO.

> instead of doing interesting stuff on it?

Interesting stuff = useful DOS apps :-)

> I don't see Win9x running on it

It does (useless anyway)

> nor Linux anymore (by default compiled for 586 or 686 architecture nowadays).

At least 4 x 4 GHz + 4 GiB RAM + 100 GiB HD :-D

> ReactOS also aims at 586+, and no 16bit subsystem so far

I don't need such

> Good point, though F5 also should work but then skips any additional

YES.

> > Obsolete Win98 has its own bootloader included, no need for FreeDOS :-)
> Bootloader for itself, not for booting an older operating system

and the problem is ???

> You can dual-boot with Win98 and FreeDOS actually sharing the same C: drive
> using a suitable boot menu and file locations.

YES, use METAKERN:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0503736/php/drdoswiki/index.php?n=Main.Gallery#toc16

> You should use only the Win98-IO.SYS (not DOS kernel) for starting Win98.

YES.

> So--where else will you get 4G+ files?

Internet ... video decoding ... video or sound recording ...
programming ( :-D ) , ...

> That is my point - DOS apps do not use such big files

they do :-)

--