Hi Adam,

If I understood correctly, you are using a Lifebook 770tx with
PCMCIA-Slot. So which card did you buy? Which PCMCIA software do you
use to enable the card?

And what kind of network do you want to use? Surf the web and email
with arachne, connect to ftp and ssh servers, set up your own
ftp-server? Then you need to get TCP/IP networking up and running. Or
do you want just to share files with some Windows PCs in your
workgroup? Then you may like to give Microsofts "MSClient" a closer
look. Maybe you want to do both?

So for instance:
I use the D-Link DFE-670TXD Fast Ethernet PCMCIA Card, which comes
with a packet driver for TCP/IP networking in DOS.

I use SystemSofts CardSoft Software for enabling PCMCIA. This was
included with my laptop once. It can be received f.i. at driverguide
<http://www2.driverguide.com/uploads/uploads9/26188.html>
(You need to register and avoid the many ads in the process, sorry.
Maybe you find better sources)

So in fdconfig.sys
I start socket services:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\NETWORK\PCMCIA\SSVLSI.EXE
I start card services:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\NETWORK\PCMCIA\CS.EXE
I let the driver allocate memory, IO port and IRQ (modifications can
be done in csalloc.ini):
DEVICEHIGH=C:\\NETWORK\PCMCIA\CSALLOC.EXE

In AUTOEXEC.BAT I load the packet driver that came with the above
PCMCIA card:
LH C:\\NETWORK\PCMCIA\DFE670\DFE670PD.COM 0x60 5 0x300

If you don't have a packet driver for your card, you need other
drivers that can be made to behave as packet drivers. This means you
need a NDIS or an ODI driver. ODI drivers are typically located at a
directory called "netware", "nwclient", "ODI" or "VLM" on your PCMCIA
drivers disk. NDIS drivers are located f.i. in a directory called
"NDIS2" and have the ending *.DOS.

If the driver is loaded, I have to configure my network settings. This
is done either in each network application itself or in a file called
WATTCP.CFG which should be in your path and is used by the many
network apps that have the free WATTCP kernel built in for networking.

For more detailled information about TCP/IP networking in DOS look up
http://lazybrowndog.net/freedos and go to chapter "3. Practical Guide:
Adding TCP/IP to DOS".

Best wishes
Uli