If you're struggling to use Freedos to connect to the WWW, consider Damn Small
Linux. It will fit on about anything that can run DOS, boots fairly quickly,
and uses the capable Dillo browser. All this works on very modest hardware.
You can then install Freedos into dosemu for a very nice dos environment to run
your dos programs.