On Tue, 31 Mar 2015 08:38:47 +0200, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 10:09 PM, dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> <sigh>  This is OS development 101.  Do you think a new OS intended as
>> a followup to an existing product throws out the baby with the
>> bathwater and does everything differently, so existing apps won't run?
>
> YES!!! Are you really this naive? I'm honestly not even cynical enough
> for this. Lots of companies throw everything away, on purpose, and
> expect everyone else to just deal with it. If they can get away with
> it, they absolutely will do it.

While this is generally true, in this case Dennis is correct.

Anyone interested in how Windows 9x uses DOS should read this excellent
overview by Windows developer Raymond Chen (his blog is full of
interesting DOS/Windows history):

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2007/12/24/6849530.aspx

And for Windows 3.x:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2010/05/17/10013609.aspx