I must admit I was not fully aware of the
philosophical background for "intentionality"
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/intentionality/
Maybe I confused "intentionality" with intentions.
I am not sure what "intentionality" really means.
Nevertheless, the aspect of "intentionality" as
world-directedness seems to be interesting (lat.
"intendere" means being directed towards some goal
or thing, to aim in a particular direction):
"intentionality" as existence of a "force" which
directs evolution and constraints a sequence of
events (incl. possible behaviors and actions). Systems
with "intentions" can be considered as organizers,
they try to organize things by imposing their order
specified in internal plans or schemas on the sequence of
external events.

Liveless, physical material has no intentions, even
if it is subject to evolution (evolution as gradual
development through time, lat. "evolvere" means to
unfold, unroll), it evolves usually towards a more
uniform, disordered state. Evolution in general
is not directed into a particular direction. It
has no direction, no plan and no goal. A closed
system without non-living elements evolves always
towards greater disorder, to a more equally
distributed state.

-J.