That 'intention' normally includes referring to an inner map or image of
an objective is part of what I meant by our 'abuse' of language.   I
thought it was a productive question, perhaps, but the word didn't work
that well for describing the whole range of apparent system goal seeking
tendencies.  There clearly are a variety of systems that have and follow
internal images, but you can see it in their behavior and find it in the
physical structures they do it with.

Maybe I can mention the closely related problem that first set me off
looking for other kinds of answers.   The structure of natural systems
organized around resource pools, building the network of relationships
loops through free exchange, points the arrow of causation backwards.
It means that it's the consumer that determines whether a product is a
waste or resource, not the producer.   Natural systems involve
properties of things that are discovered, not predetermined,
organization built and fed by opportunity, not driven by necessity!
Natural systems are built around a combination of 'push' and 'pull'
connections.   In system models built in computers I believe tables of
properties are set only by the sending rather than receiving end of a
connection.  I can't say how to flip that to make market connections
work like free exchange pools do in nature, just that it's a basic
problem for comparing computer models to natural systems.

As a suggestion, it means something like hanging a new picture on the
wall of your mind, call it a window even though it may look blank at
first, through which you learn how to see the parts of the world where
causation works backwards.   I find there's good technique and lots to
find.

Phil Henshaw                       ¸¸¸¸.·´ ¯ `·.¸¸¸¸
680 Ft. Washington Ave
NY NY 10040
tel: 212-795-4844
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]