> So - in terms of answering your question about whether intentionality
> is the mark of the vital, I would have to answer no. I do not see much
> intentional behaviour amongst simple animals (eg insects) or plants -
> rather I tend to think of these as complex machine. On the
> contrary, to a
> well designed artificial human (as in a computer game character) I
> will assign
> intentionality, even though I know they're only the outputs of
> algorithms.

I agree with Russell's answer, but I would go even further.
Intentionality, just like intelligence and cognition, is a property
described by an observer. I can say that a tree is intentional
because it wants to blossom when spring comes, or even that a rock is
intentional because when I drop it it wants to go down. But really
the question is not wether the rock is "really" intentional or not,
because intentionality cannot be objective. The question is how
useful it is for us to describe a rock as intentional...

If anybody's interested in a more complete exposition of this
argument, I exposed it for cognition (but you can just change the
word for intentionality or intelligence) in the following paper:
Cognitive Paradigms: Which One is the Best? Cognitive Systems
Research 5(2):135-156, June 2004.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cogsys.2003.10.002

Best regards,

     Carlos Gershenson...
     Centrum Leo Apostel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
     Krijgskundestraat 33. B-1160 Brussels, Belgium
     http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~cgershen/

   “Tendencies tend to change...”